I have...
- at various points over the past two weeks, both wondered what the heck I'm doing here and had a total blast
- several times, played soccer in my Vibrams
- retrieved my running shoes and warm up pants (because we can't bloody run in shorts)
- been constantly reassessing my packing strategy and making ntoes of what I should have brought, etc. Dad, you were right. All I really had to do was get the bags to the airport. After that, they were either on a plane, on a car (literally on the car roof), or on the ground. I am told we will be driven to our site the first time, meaning that 8k walk with all the stuff may not be a reality. If this is true, I wish I brought lots more stuff.
- sometimes felt awk at dinner, only becauaes I many times have trouble figuring out (esp in the dark) who is talking to who.
- created much excitment in my host family by dancing
- put in ear plugs to endure the early morning call to prayer
- today, sang For teh Longest Time, for another birthday, while my partneres awarded the birthday-ee a birthday hat and danced with her, and then started happy birthday. I promise to diversify our birthday celebration eshenanigans...though after the one we ahve next week, all the rest are at the very end of PST.
- failed to correctly ID some of the animals around here. I am told what I have called llamas are really more goats.
- been both impressed and intimidated by the protocol for asessing community needs and creating projects for the community. The emphasis on integration and how projects derived from the organic and expressed needs of the community are a big part of why I jumped into the PC bed, but it seems super difficult for many reasons which I am sure will come up later on.
- been both bubbling with ideas about a million things and also worried I will mismanage my long term project as I did my thesis
- leanrd how to play.....uh, would it be pronouned yuler? It's mad similar to setback or pitch or penuckle with hearts also providing some background.
- similar to my wish for an office space (haha, like the movie....along the sames lines the Zarma words suba si means the day after tomorrow...like the movie title), wished for internet...though no other real modern stuff
- been super excited the TV is out or gone or whatever
- for my birthday exploits, been asked by more than one person if I was an acapella person in college
- earned the rep of the person who asks intelligent questions
I have not...
- missed a dose of the anti malaria meds
- had any exceedlingly tripy dreams from the mefloquin (anti malaria med)
- taken real joy in going t the bathroom. I'm no stranger to poo-ing in the woods, and even when the latrine smells real bad, one is only there for a few omments, but these cockroaches that are around la nuit continue to...make me some uncomfortable
- had any issue with the crickets taht live in my hut and hop around all my stuff. I think of them as my friends. Other people ahve had rats or mice in their huts (another reason to sleep outside), so I consider myself lucky to have such agreeable roomates
- lost any excitment for the fari masa (pizatles), masa (like mini pancakes), or chinena (sp. some of dough and bean thing the size of a munchin maybe) breakfasts or especially the bread, peanut butter (they have peanut butter here!!! sweet!!!), jelly, and butter they put out for snack in the afternoon on core days (days the whole group goes to the site)
No comments:
Post a Comment