This blog reflects only the thoughts of Daniel Hodson himself and does not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Friday, November 19, 2010

le 18 novembre

Two missing notes from yesterday that I'm sure you want to hear:
Only kinda disgusting part of the sheep sacrifice thing was that the second goat like threw up when it was dying. Throwing up is kinda nasty in any species.
Second, pretty novel practice here. So one of the first things the dudes who were gutting the sheep did was cut off a hoof, stick a stick (millet stalk) up the leg and into the body cavity, kinda making room. Then, he put his mouth on/ close to the leg and literally blew air into the sheep, blowing it up, again, literally like a balloon. The main body cavity swelled, the tesicles swelled. I could not beleive it at first; it seemed easier to blow up this sheep than some of those long, thin balloons that are like impossible to blow up. The sheep I saw this one, the second one, again threw up after this blowing up process. So I thought this was to clear the stomach, but this seems wrong because 1) there was still lots of stuff in the stomach I think, which gets dumped, and 2) another trainee said it is to make it easier to skin, etc.

Ok, I'm done with all the sweet deets. You can thank me for sharing later.

Two general notes:
1) NIgerien towels suck. I think a t-shirt has better absorbson (sp).
2) So, the culture is very conservative about attire, but there are lots of...I'll say exceptions, but that's not the word I was going for. Everyone is suppossed to have knees and shoulders covered. Covering most of calf recommended. Women often cover their heads. Ok, so first, kids run around like mad naked all the time. Like, butt naked in the concession, maybe outside too. Kids into their young teenage years are shirtless or shirts open or wear shorts. Second, we hear again and again that clothes must be clean, even pressed, but kids' clothes are dirty, torn, and full of holes (holy?). For special occasions, everyone, even kids, has pretty clean and nice stuff on, but in the daily grind, there are lots of adults wearing dirty clothes, and many men with torn clothes. Third, women breast feed in public like it ain't no thing. Maybe this is only in the concession, in which there is a more liberal set of rules. Regardless, covering the shoulders while revealing the boobs seems as counterintuitive as stressing clean clothes and throwing the garbage in the street (have I mentioned that this is a true story?). Example of dif rules in the concession, two of my little brothers brought me over to a friend's house yesterday and we went inside to watch TV briefly and the dad was eating shirtless.
3) My filter is finally up and chugging away. What I thought was wrong with it is actually just how it works, so...yea, cool.

Tabaski Day 2

Ok, fake, I'm mad tired. Going to table Tabaski Day 2 discussion for tomorrow...which again won't matter beacuse you read this all whenever I post them anyway, but just know I try to do it day by day unless the battery dies or I'm way mad tired. Oho, farga go no. Ay fargo gumo gumo.

No comments:

Post a Comment