This blog reflects only the thoughts of Daniel Hodson himself and does not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Saturday, November 20, 2010

19 novembre 2010 (2)

Today

I have...
- had my set of calethenics interupted to take a trip to the capitol for blood and urine tests
- been super miffed to miss snack and lunch at the site
- upon being away from training for a few hours and missing some stuff, in a way, reaffirmed my comittment by truthfully just wanting to be back in training
- worried about the language test tomorrow, an oral "exam". It would not really matter (A) we need to learn it for ourselves and B) the one we HAVE to pass is in December) save that the classes will be rearranged by ability for language immersion and the next few weeks of classes and I'll be damned if I'm not in the "top" class. I did a practice dialogue with my chowandiko (teacher) to make up for missing that in class and felt it was not a great confidence booster. There is just some vocab we have covered that I don't often use so it hasn't really stuck. I can manage the "Are you married?" convo line pretty well, which is good because it's a favorite topic, hence we learn this seemingly random vocab so early (like first or second week)
- paid a seemingly exhorbatant amount of money for some cookie/ cake thing from a gas station in the capitol to have something to eat while waiting around
- made the first instant contact with home via gmail's SMS a phone function (woohoo gmail!). Woohoo Cassie and Kayleigh for texting during school/ class!!
- finally (by delegating some of the final remaining tasks) closed the book on sending friends and family the link to this blog and my contact info, etc. This has been bothering me, since I should have taken care of it before I left.
- had a first
- enjoyed, as usual, a welcome reception upon returning to my host family
- been given another great idea.
- posted the first pic!! NOTE that since it's mad hard for me to post pics, you will see them in a functionally random order. The one I posted today is one of my favorites so far


I have not..
- gotten more details on meranga (the all magical tree) (missed that session)
- not managed to call home, in part thanks to not thinking ahead before I left and getting skype credit and in part because it was late morning/ early afternoon here and early morning on the east coast and late night/ middle of the night for my west coast friends
- easily known how long I've been here. Time does blur in a way.
- watered my garden two times today (forgot the second time, balls). Did I mention my peanut plants have germinated? It's real cool. The peanut splits and the plant starts growing from the middle. Some of my other plants have started to sprout too. I'm super pumped. The practical issue with relpicating this at our sites is that it takes a redic amount of water, the level of which may not be sustainable at site.

No comments:

Post a Comment