This blog reflects only the thoughts of Daniel Hodson himself and does not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Saturday, November 27, 2010

le 23 novembre

In the last two days...

I have...
- had my first ultrasound
- succeeded in making a joke about being pregnant in FR to the med tech, only to have no idea what he said in response
- circumlocuated asking about a kidney stone (negative) in FR
- (as you saw from last night's note) been out of my mind with impatience
- talked to Gersh (woohoo!!!) via skype
- learned two health related FR words
- been again thankful for my minimal FR
- (many many times) been super thankful and pumped for the shirts from Aunt Ann (thanks!!). They're the best.
- fixed the pictures I've posted and added lots more
- helped the med team here interpret my own ultrasound (which was explained to me in FR recall)
- tried fried (I think) grasshoppers. Kinda like popcorn.
- had some homemade taffee. Kinda like the burnt part of the marshmellow achieved when making smores.
- felt I lost a bit of momentum, a bit of confidence
- finally had the discussino scheduled for sat with my CHA supervisor about my thought on PST and my preferences for placement. I emphasized that I will go wherever needed, but right now, I think I would prefer to 1) have my own concession, 2) be in a more rural placment, 3) open a site, that is go to a village that has never previously hosted a volunteer. I feel I am better at setting precedent than following precedent.
- achieved the level of "Intermediate Low" on my first LPI (lang oral exam). We are supposed to acheive the next level, Intermediate Mid, by the end of PST to "pass". I was, of course, hoping for more dominance. Two girls learning Hausa scored as Intermediate Mid and Intermediate High. All the Zarma phones I talked to scored as either Intermediate Low or Beginnner High.
- decided to try to stop worrying about standards of performance and just...do
- been very happy to return to my friends and to my host family


I have not...
- studied Zarma
- slept past 0715 in the only air conditioning in a month
- (but almost) used a phone for the first time in a month
- succeeded (on Monday or Tuesday) in the first installment in my planned Sunday essay series. Hmmm
- weeded my garden
- (today) run
- bought anything at the market this week
- gotten a haircut, though two other trainees did, for 250 CFA (50 cents), get their hair buzzed mad short. This is coming I feel, especially after today's medical session on lice and other creepy crawling things that can invade one's body.

No comments:

Post a Comment