Today
I have...
- been not quite clicking on all cylinders. Poss tired. Poss mentally fatigued from never sleeping through the night, every few hours hitting the bathroom or waking to noise. Poss apprehensive about big holiday tomorrow and being around fam for two days with no classes to break the monotomy of being pulled around here and there as a play toy with the kids. Sometimes fun. Sometimes...not.
- been beyond frustrated with my language class for reasons not related to language. (Also some frustrated by difficulties/ intrincacies/ of language but this pretty normal and passing since we feel cool when we figure it out)
- been fatigued by the market scene. Bought a radio for playing music (dance party with kids coming soon hopefully). Got it for half asking price. Poss still was ripped off. Bought candy for tomorrow to give to kids. Got flustered and totally got hosed. Bought dates to give to fam tomorrow. Poss a fine buy. Bought a mirror (finally can shave without borrowing someone's mirror!). Thought it was mad cheap, but apparently they can get cheaper. Looked for more material for pants, but didn't want to go through the buying process. Finally find and bought a towel. Got decent deal after two trips and lots of work getting small bills/ coins and insisting on lower price, which was pretty easy cause my vocab is limited. Went out again to buy batteries for radio, but did not want to break (or show I had) a larger bill and could not get the batteries I needed with my small coneage. Encouraged by these petit dialogues though. Overall pretty decent, but some tiring I suppose.
- toppled over doing hand stand puships in my booca and saved by fishing wire I hung to hang clothes
- (for all the time I've been here) too easily adapted to the men do little housework and guests are treated as kings approach. I.E. I don't worry about doing anything around the house. And I'm fine with that.
-been reinvogated some by an impromptu convo with a dude while waiting for ay kaynay (my little brothers) to buy a new light. I pretty much got everything the guy said.
- totally pumped by macaroni dinner. Would have preferred melted cheese to same old same old sauce, but still awesome.
- again realized how well off my host family is and how well of I am by default
- felt good holding the new baby. They are quick to let people, maybe just white people hold the babies. Did I mention during demyst, me arrived at a clinic a few hours or minutes after a young mother (maybe 16?) gave birth and the immediately gave the baby to the PCV to hold. Not sure why it makes me feel good. I think it makes me feel important. Tonight the baby, had been some awake, calmed down and I think maybe started to sleep in my arms. A difficulty of the langage, the words for to like, to love, and to want, as far I as know are the same (ba, e.g. Ay ga ba fari masa- a staple breakfast food), so in response to their inquiry "Ni ga ba bebe?" it's tricky to articulate, yes I like their baby and babies in general, but I do not want a baby of my own...at least right now.
I have not
- curtailed the habit of eating little candies at various points throughout the day
- curtailed the desire to drink some soda
- felt real great during petit run
- preferred all the hullabullo of the holiday to the normal routine to which I had become accustomed
- been thankul for lots of free time, whether on Sunday's or holidays.
No comments:
Post a Comment