This blog reflects only the thoughts of Daniel Hodson himself and does not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Pics from Language Immersion (Saboula, Niger)

High class "urban" style living in a smaller village. Our "kitchen" (slash the bedroom for me and the other male trainee even though we never slept here slash my changing room), which was pretty grody. I slept in for an hour or two one afternoon I wasn't feeling well...and woke up with a headache and stuffy nose that I blame on all the dirt on the floor and walls and stuff. This site is pretty nice. It is basically a four room apartment with the option for electricity (all the other apartments in the compound have it, but mice had chewed through the wires in our apartment.

We traveled by cow cart to visit a Fulani village that had never before hosted annassaras. We were told to take pictures, and they enjoyed being in pictures (and really enjoyed looking at themselves in pictures). For a while, the annassaras stood on one side, cameras flashing, and the Fulani children stood across a 15 foot buffer zone. I tried to bridge the gap and get in the picture with the kids. When I moved to bridge the gap, they promply ran away. This aside, the Fulani nomadic lifestyle has a lot of adolescent allure for me; I half wish I will get sent to a Fulani village (therby resigning myself to another 3-6 months of learning yet another language).

Coming back from the Fulani village, we hit some cow cart traffic. We finally passed this more commercial vehicle. I'm not sure if our driver, a 10 year old with his younger brother, have their CDL to drive carts overloaded with millet stalks.

Our classroom. Under a tree called an "annasarra lilly", but I may be mishearing the "lilly" word and it may be something else.

My classmates walking from our apartment towards the market.

These toys are the rage in Saboula.

Social psychological research shows that people are less likely to litter in a situation when the ground is mostly clean, but there is one (or a few) highly salient pieces of litter as opposed to a situation when the ground is littered with litter.

Looking out of town from the market, this town beyond some standing water always mesmerized us. The area around Saboula is greener than the area of our training site, and the sun often reflected off the metal roofs of one perfectly place building.

Taken with zoom from our pateo/ porch. Still a sucker for sun shots.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder what the kids and local residents in some of these pictures are thinking when multiple cameras are pointed at them at once. Do they ever get to take pictures of the Westerners?

    ReplyDelete