This blog reflects only the thoughts of Daniel Hodson himself and does not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

le 27 decembre

Full recap of yesterday, in bullet points rather than have/ have nots:
- woke up 0730. Gave fam briefing on day: I was to head to Niamey, hopefully be back in two o'clock hour, big soccer game, big dinner party with fam (w/ gifts they didn't know about), then dance party. I need to be more patient and not give people all this info before they need it.
- literally ran to road where we buy breakfast and catch bush taxis into Niamey. Saw a friend and then before I could buy breakfast, a dude going to Niamey said he had two spots. Kinda sketch just car...but that what public transportation is in Niger, right. Snagged and quick breakfast. 0755, we're driving to Niamey. I had to smile. There were four of us squished into the backseat (three in front including driver) until one got off 11k from our town. First time I've done public transit without a PCV or supervisor.
- hit the western style restaurant with wifi. Posted blogs. Caught up on emails. Talked to Nyika (yay!!!). Posted pics to blog. These were reason #1 of the trip to Niamey. Was feeling very efficient, so far things going all to plan. Felt some guilty about spending so much time focused on home in the closing days of our stage being together...but only because I was nervous about time I think.
- now had to make decision to head back home or head to the US rec center to catch a friend on her birthday and finish writing our rap with another friend (reasons #2 for trip). It was maybe aroudn noon-ish. Also was running low on Money. Out stipend was spend quickly this week. Decided to head over to see the other group.
- spent two or three hours at the US rec center by the embassy. Description of this quasi oasis of America not pertinent here. Helped buy birthday girl a birthday treat. Rap friend MIA, but I went over my lines. Left with enough time, if everything went perfectly to be home by 1500 - 1530.
- got taxi back to bus station (ecogar) at good price, though it seemed to take an inefficient route. My friend blew through the market adjacent to the bus station to get gifts for her fam. Everything spot on plan until...
- had to catch bus taxi back. I totally blew this. We started looking for bush taxi like 2:40. Passed on a super full bus that I wasn't sure would leave on time. We went into ecogar to where the cars leave for our town. Now, here's what I THINK happened. We were supposed to pay the guy collecting money, wait for a car to fill, then he would put us in it. Instead, I waited and waited for someone who was going to leave quickly, then a car left and we were not in it. Major jam. Then we paid and sat in a car for another 20min before someone else to help fill our car, then we left the ecogar and filled our car with...more annassaras who left the rec center maybe an HOUR after us. Major jam.
- Got back in four o'clock hour. Rallied my fam and some of our friends for soccer. I was proud that we could walk down the street some and in not too long we had a 5 on 5 game. It was pretty hot, I was hungry from not really having lunch, and stomach giving me some issues, so it was actually cool I did not get back at 2. We could not have played for like 3 hours. When kids went to take a water break, I did too, and then the game never got going. I was satisfied. We played on the big road. Had some kids, but not as many as those few weeks back- the big games at dusk. Wore my Vibrams.
- sat in the street. Wrestled with some kids. Was mad tired. Worried about getting my radio from the site for the dance party later. They asked about it so I used this as an excuse to get it, but they followed me to the garden and I felt like I just wanted some space on this one. Didn't want to make a scene by walking in with the radio before we were ready to dance. Luckily a friend was heading up to site, so I stashed the radio in his bag and then dropped it off at a friends house.
- Sitting up at site, waiting for my friend. Was SO tired. Wondered if I could pull of the second half of this big party day. Was super confused about this dinner party with fam. My baba was still in Niamey. Peace Corps had not dropped off food or cake or soda. I was tired and hungry. Lots of doubt in here.
- Finally, Peace Corps dropped stuff off, baba came home, we ate some. I had been parrying questions about presents all day. I didn't have much of an appetite, so I finished and I said I was going to get some stuff and look for something to open the soda (PC did not bring a bottle opener...baba ended up opening them with his teeth I think. Can't figure out if any of the leathermen tools work).
- Went to my friends house where I stashed the presents (see pic from yesterday's post). I came in with the bundle of stuff first. In the choas of 15 kids gathering around presents, I couldn't really give my half planned speech of thanking them for their hospitatily and how its hard to leave your family  and go to a different coutnry where you don't speak the language and that they have been very supportive (yea, I didn't get past thank you basically). It was kinda chaos, but baba got everything open. Hopefully everyone got licorice, though I forgot how many bloody kids and friends are around. Need double food treats for the big fam. I think they were pumped about the gifts. Then I went outside and brought the chair in, and I didn't get as big a reaction, or much of anything, but I think they were just kinda overwhelmed with gifts.
- Baba opened a soda for me, and then I asked if we were ready to dance. Yea, they were ready to dance. Went to friends house, got radio, carried it on shoulder, dance party commenced.
- def best dance party of PST. It's so awesome because everyone added stuff. My radio. Friends' iPod. A different friend's cord that connects the radio to iPod. The girl trainees got the girls dancing. The boys got the boys dancing. One dude did a backflip. Another used his flashlight as a strobe. I pretended to try a backflip and the worm as farce to some good laughs. Another friend had kids going crazy with his butt shaking which I tried to emulate. And then, like I described last night, the beautiful scene of everyone dancing and singing to the World Cup song. A song by a Spanish/ American cross over artist, written in English and another language for a world wide soccer tournament in South Africa, and here we are in Niger, Nigeriens and Americans, representing English, French, Hausa, and Zarma and we were all on the same page. Moments like that...it's what it's all about I think. I was so proud of our group.
- tried to give a goodbye speech (in Zarma) that I think I kinda got out, but not as nailed it as I hoped

So pumped going to bed. We've been here for nine weeks, and we've made our mark. Kids on my side of town all know me. In the three months at site before IST (In Service Training) we can def integrate, but as last night showed, it seems it takes a team. I am nervous to have no backup. Also wish my town was smaller, so EVERYONE could know me and I could know them and not just a corner of town.

Other random notes:
- when under fire, Zarma proficiency drops precipitiously. E.g. at the bus station with lots of distraction and people talking at me and at the dance party. A big part is the difficulty focusing.
- Another highlight, when I was leaving the rec center, a friend ran after me to share a big idea he had for our rap. Haha, so much fun!
- I love to get laughts in Zarma.

Today

I have...
- been unanimously (among Zarma speakers) picked as the person to give a quick speech in Zarma at swear in. The top Zarma dude, my friend, will be going to a Fulani village and said he didn't want to do it, so...yea. It's funny, I wanted to speak at Prep's graduation so bad, and thought I had stuff to say at Swat's though I would have had no time and I didn't really have the rapport for it, and at lots of other times I've felt I've had so much to say...now I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say! In English, no doubt, but in Zarma...a whole different ball game. I am proud to be picked though.
- been super frustrated to be tired and dragging after busy weekend and not feeling 100% and also to have to spend time packing and not with my stage.
- packed up all my stuff and left my host family. Walking to my house a few times to get my stuff, I thought about the walk there that first time. Wow. I was so nervous, now it ain't no thing. And I'm glad I was in the family by myself, more difficult at times, but def more rewarding. I'm proud my fam likes me and stuff. And...yea, wow, starting to hit that PST is coming to end. Just crazy.
- did "American Woman" at lunch for the birthday yesterday. We split up different stanzas (we didn't know all the words but kinda got it) for different guys and it was pretty funny.
- been so thankful we didn't do anything so I could prep, organize, pack.
- realized again that the gifts to my family were stuff the boys would probs use more (cards, ball, pump) and that I know all the boys names but not all the girls names. There is a point here, but I'm not sure what.
- eaten one of my special lollipops (the big ones I got at Staples). I've given a few away, but hadn't eaten one yet.
- later in the day, had some thoughts about what to say in speech

I have not...
- cared much at all about our last LPI. I met the standard for passing last time. I'm so much better than ever two weeks ago, but the LPI doesn't really let you show it it seems to me. They ask the same stupid questions. In last two weeks, I had so many good convo's with my dad, talked to a guy from my village...LPI ban (done). Though I will be miffed if my "grade" is not towards the top of the curve. A good lesson in how grades don't matter, it practically what you have learned.
- completely (re)packed up.
- understood how people can be bored. Mutltiple people have said this so I tried to delegate some of my tasks or run the list of stuff I have to do, but I think I just came across as an idiot...or pompus ass or something. I just don't understand.

Also, got my first letter from Bella's class!! In response to your two quetsions:
1) I have not cut my hair yet. RIGHT before I go to my town, I am going to cut my hair real short and shave because pretty much all Nigeriens have their hair mad short and all people my age are shaved.
2) Niger is not adjacent to any bodies of water, besides the Niger River. I guess there could be beaches by the river, but I doubt it (high risk of hippos?). But, since the country is desert or semi arid, sand is everywhere! So if you like the beach, but hate the water, Niger is the place for you. Driving one time, we say people digging in the middle of nowhere this more whitish sand, and we were told they use this as like a carpet for their dirt floors. This finer, lighter sand looks pretty beachy to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment