Gracious me, it's 2011.
Yesterday (31 dec)
I have...
- woke up. tired. sad. bad combo. kinda wanted to hug people and cry. most of that was tiredness. at least some
- got some excited seeing all my friends still around (only the Zinder and Maradi groups had left at 0400). But, then sad again when I re-realized we would split again (Dosso and Tillaberi). Peeling away process begun. In four or five days, we'll be spread out in villages across the "green zone" (the safe area of Niger in the south that is also the most lucious...that is, not desert)
- been very thankful for my new bag (thanks Aunt Ann). It was so easy to pack, saved me much hassle. Hopefully, I can lift it.
- leaving Tondibon, thought again that here is another place that I came to feel at home, came to feel is "my" space to some degree, and made lots of friends...and already I am leaving it and have to/ get to start over again. Again, I realize why people find it so hard to start over again and again and again.
- was super pumped by a recent example of the good work of the "Birthday Committee".
- reflected on the SOOOO many hilarious laughs and good times over PST
- thought again on the unfinished business: enough of a thank you for the staff? My friend said no, but what are ya gonna do...
- started to feel much better, laughing with my friend walking on the street in Niamey. Holy crap, we're PCV's in Niger. Also, to have a TASK again. Putting together comprensive contact list for our stage. Collaborating with my friends across all the regions to get the info. It's like we're working together just like usual...only half a day's travel apart. The feeling of solidarity was comforting. Same thing that makes me feel better about my friends from home, spread over three continents, we're all doing cool stuff together...but physically separate.
- had the first hot shower since Philly nine weeks ago. Actually, in the heat, I would say a hot shower would be counter productive, but if I was to shower in the early A.M. I would def appreciate a warm shower. Feel mad guilty.
- saw lots of people (mostly young people?) riding in back of pickup trucks and yelling stuff (happily) through the street in front of the bureau. Not sure what this was about. Elections at end of the month?
- watched the video of my speech. Realized I made a mistake in the first 2 seconds, when I meant asked off the cuff if everyone could hear me, instead of saying "Can everyone hear me?" I said "Will everyone hear me?". Hoe they didn't think I was telling them to listen up.
- song "I would walk 500 miles" came on last night and I thought of road tripping, and my friends at home!!
I have not...
- ran (really). Had a day off of everything yesterday. Ran back and forth across tondibon a bunch. Had a run of like 1000m.
- been guilt free about all the amenities we have. PC would be way different without ANY phone or internet, never mind the flotte with all our stage. Are we "cheating" by staying in touch with our stage? Not to mention we live like kings at this hostel. The great food. Hot water. Access to restaurants and shops and markets in Niamey. Feel so guilty when thining about where some other volutneers are. This is a good home base for PC Niger, but we are so spoiled to have it as our regional capital also. It's also...funny, how these four days will be the "easiest" from the perspectiev of access to resources, even living WITH a few other PCV's...and then we move to the time that will be the HARDEST and we will have least access to resources (or at least have the least knowledge of how to access them) and will be alone.
- been able to post the vid of my speech to the blog. Internet can't handle it. Jam berre aran se.
- typed notes to my stage. Tried to do one or two. Not very articulate. wasted a lot of time during day I felt. Should have napped longer and earlier? Been sharper to get more stuff, like the letters done.
- been given clearance for getting a boat. The country director came to dinner and said the staff had unanimously decided it would be a bad a idea for me to get a boat. I'm not sure what is getting lost in translation here (from Eng to Eng) cause I def need a boat.
- wrote on my hand "settle back in!" to remind me to get back to earlier bed, more sleep, and "work" stuff after our respite for swear in and new year's. Should I be practicing some remarks that I will need to say (in Zarma) when I arrive at But, should I be maximizing all the fun time possible with my freinds before we spread out?
New Year's Recap
Woke up from short nap before six. Started to repack stuff. Other PCV's started showing up. Country Director showed up. I was not feeling New Year's celebration really. But people were getting dressed up, and so when I finished the task I was working, I put on the sweet pants and my fav shirt that I wore for swear in, and felt better immediately and started talking to people and was soon having an awesome hilariously time. Got to talk to home for a bit, which was sweet. In the hostel with all its resources and now with my phone, it's like I'm just...NOT in the bush in Africa. We had an amazing dinner, by any standard, thansk to our friend, a star cook. I was super pumped to go dancing. Hot off the success of our dance party in the streets, I was excited to see the Niamey "club" dancing scene. But, we ended up bouncing from one place (people watching WWE wrestling, just sitting around) to another (a high school kid party? wha? Jam bambata!) and back to the first (some dancing maybe? but no room.) and then back home. At some point in those few hours, the new year came, and we saw some fireworks from the roof of one building. Not the dance party I was looking for, but an experience to try to experience Niamey night life for the first time. Funny that some things (trying to find the "right" place at the "right" time) of course don't change on any continent. Also, for the record, based on last night at least, I def prefer dance parties with kids on the street to combing the streets of the city for a hopping club. Personal preference I guess.
Also, a hilarious note, dancing with kids who are like 10: fun. Being at a dance place with 16-18 year olds: Creepy. Big difference.
Happy New Year from Niger!! (The first of two or three new year's celebrations here for me....oh boy)
No comments:
Post a Comment