This blog reflects only the thoughts of Daniel Hodson himself and does not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Epilogue: Senegal Bound


What an unbelievable roller coaster last week, especially last days. Impossible to recount properly. Last afternoon at like 1630h, we got some options for ways we could quickly join a new program. I was unsure, thought I had a plan, then looked at an option I had overlooked around 2100h, and it blew my mind. It's funny after looking at a lot of stuff that you're luke warm about, and then you read something that seems so perfect...you know. It's as though they actually know what they're doing over there. Through the rumor mill, Senegal's health program has an excellent reputation. I finished reading the packet literally walking to the wine bar, and the decision was made to put my name in the hat for the health program in Senegal.

Today at 1600h, they posted a list of names. My name was on it. How this happened I have no idea. Friends with better qualifications than me were left of the list for Senegal or other countries to which they had applied. There will be 7-8 of us from Niger going to Senegal, five of us from my stage, including some of my closest friends. I am, right now, the only male and only CHA going from Niger. They will give us 4-5 weeks of some kind of training, and then we're in. Running of 4 hours of sleep, but totally jazzed up and overwhelmed. Literally bouncing up and down. Been not quite sure what to do with myself, first waiting to hear news if I got the assignment, and now excited and nervous for a new position so soon. Was this the right decision? I think so, and I really hope so. We will leave within the week. No vacation. No time home. I will miss all my friends from this stage terribly.

We're done two birthdays this week already. The deputy director of the Peace Corps called us to thank us, etc, etc., and she said they had heard about our rendition of "Don't Stop Believing" and so she and several other Peace Corps Washington staff played the song and sang it to us over the phone. We clapped twice expecting them to be done in an instramental or something...and then they would be still singing. My name is on the list, and our shenanigans have spread to the D.C. office. I am doing something right. I will be given a tremendous opportunity in a dynamite program to do some real legit work. Expectations will be high, and I will have to prove I am more than cheap tricks and shenanigans.

This closes out the Niger blog I think. I'm not sure how I will record the adventure in Senegal. I think I have been thinking too much, holding on too tight. We will see. Thanks to all for reading.

3 comments:

  1. Dan we wish you the best of luck in your new assignment. Take care of yourself. We haven't heard from Phil yet, but we're hoping for good news from him as well. We've enjoyed reading your blog. Keep up the good work and God bless. Mrs. S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Dan. We'll miss you too, but we are very proud of you. Keep making a difference.

    ReplyDelete