This blog reflects only the thoughts of Daniel Hodson himself and does not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

le 03 janvier (night)

Leaving bureau, walking back to hostel, I had a peculiar thought: I'm pretty ready. I wish I was better rested. Wish I had practiced the Zarma phrases I will need during installation. I mean, didn't get the USB key. But besides those, things I have just about every bloody thing I could want. I guess it's time. I've learned Zarma pretty well. Work hard, had a pretty successful PST. Just kind of spinning my wheels here this afternoon. About as ready as I could be, right? This is a good feeling. Got excited, rather than feeling terror. Friends starting to get installed, although I'm more towards the front end, and they're doing it. So I can do it. It's happening.

At the hostel, some other PCV's from other regions here. One from Zinder. Had not seen his stage mates here in several months. Interesting to watch these older PCV's...having not seen each other for long period. The way they interact now. Some sad. Interesting.

With everyone who travels in and out of the country, for example now friends and family coming to visit PCV's, coming through Niamey, the hostel feels less like "our" (meaning team tillaberi) hostel and more like PC Niger's hostel. This is cool because it gives us solidarity with everyone and maybe we get to see people more when they come through Niamey. But it also seems, at least now, the hostel more busy.

Got a quick haircut. Not much change. If I have time, will get it cut shorter tomorrow.

Besides STILL not completing any notes to my stage, besides feeling like I'm blowing my first day by not prepping the Zarma, the main concern now is what time we will leave. If they squish everyone on one trip, we'll leave at 0730. If the five tables, seven chairs, four beds, four mattresses, and all our baggage doesn't fit in one vehicle (no it's not a semi), my friend and I will leave around noon-ish. That's a bit of the difference. Either way, the car would have to dip into Niamey at least a little, and from the latest update in the afternoon that said  we would take two trips, I was excited to have a VERY leisurely morning. So, we'll see.

Bed now. Will pack my bedding up tomorrow morning, then (en shala) not have to pack/ unpack bags like this again for some time.

Tempted to break into some of the sweet food I got for site, but have shown good restraint.

No comments:

Post a Comment